Thursday, October 30, 2014

Voting on Judges


In Colorado, state court judges are appointed by the governor, but the public decides in elections whether judges are to be retained.  When you see judges on your ballot, you’re not voting them in – you’re voting on whether they should keep their jobs.  Most people probably don’t have a clue who to vote for or against.  I have some friends who asked me if I knew anything about any of them, which I did, and was happy to share. 

Maybe I never noticed before this year, but this election season for the first time I noticed political signs placed on public lands that were anti- a particular judge.  I happen to know this judge and think she is one of the best judges we have in domestic court.  The signs read "vote no on Judge Amico. Anti family, anti father."

Whoever placed these signs is a disgruntled dad who lost a case. I know her as a judge quite well, having represented fathers before her, and I can tell you she is absolutely NOT anti-father or anti-anything.  She has a reputation as one of the best, most fair judges we've got.  She cares about kids, and all the people who appear before her.

It may be worth mentioning here that the courts look at a parent’s ability to put the kids’ needs ahead of their own.  That being said, I can see why this amoeba lost his kids.  I didn’t get my way, so I’m going to run a campaign against a fantastic public servant because she pissed me off. ME ME ME It’s all about ME.  This is not the type of rational decision making that gets you custody.

A judge's job is to decide what's fair based on the evidence presented, and that means some parties don’t get their way.  Please ask a lawyer friend for their opinion on the judge as a judicial officer, rather than basing your vote on someone's personal vendetta.  Don't be swayed by vindictive signs.  If anything, vote FOR her because of these signs.  She obviously made the right decision if she awarded custody of these children to the parent who DIDN’T choose to spend potential college funds on revenge.

Trial Testimony Tips in Family Law

  ^Don't be this guy. ^ As a family lawyer I have prepped countless clients and witnesses for trial.  This post is to share that advice ...